Final Fantasy

For talking about video games, board games, and whatever other kind of games you enjoy.
Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Final Fantasy

Post by Jess »

What is the best Final Fantasy, and why is it Final Fantasy IX?

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Boozel
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

He/Him

Re: Final Fantasy

Post by Boozel »

I still need to play IX :[

I'm admittedly a sucker for the usual ones. XI was one of the first games I got to experience with a social group, so it sticks with me. And VII, despite its flaws, is probably the one I remember most fondly.

I think VI is probably the next one I plan to sit down with, though. IV, VI, and IX are all on my to-do for FF. I've heard some mixed stuff about the pixel remasters, though, so I'm a bit hesitant to hit the older ones...

Jess
Site Owner
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

Post by Jess »

I think a lot of people can agree that the GBA versions of FF I II IV V and VI are good, except for the music lmao

I played this romhack of the SNES version of FFVI and it was cool. I remember enjoying the PSP version of FF1, I assume FF2 was cool too. The PSP version of FF1 had a lot of extra content, too. I played the Android port of the DS version of FFIV, and it was cool too, though I heard they made stuff harder?

So yea like, there's ways to play the games. I haven't played the Pixel Remasters yet, but I heard that they're just remakes of the originals with no extra content, which makes absolutely no sense to me, but hey whatever lmao

NinTheFolf
Fox Pal
Name: Nin
Pronouns:

He/Him

Post by NinTheFolf »

I lost the DS remake of IV when I came home from college, I was really bummed out about it cause I was very close to the end. ;.; One of these days I should go back and revisit it.

Image Signature perpetually under construction.

Caliburn
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

they/them

Flags:

:flag_asexual: :flag_nonbinary:

Post by Caliburn »

I also need to play more of IX... I tried the first game on WiiWare (didn't even get to Garland lol), and I went through a good chunk of VII in high school before losing my save file somehow, but other than that, I've only really dipped my toes into the other FFs I've played. IV on an SNES emulator, V and Tactics Advance on a GBA emulator, VIII on Steam, IX on the Switch, X Remastered on the PS3, XIV (which I would love to play more alongside my friends but the sheer size of it daunts me)... Yeah, I've tried a lot of FFs, but I haven't really played a lot of FFs.

I was really into the Bravely games in middle and high school, though, so that counts as Final Fantasy experience, right? I gotta get back to BD2 at some point so my Switch can stop begging me to archive it for more disc space...

"Oh, of course! It's my old pal, Ryo! how the hell have you been keeping, then?"

defiantoptimist
Fox Pal
Name: Cameron
Pronouns:

They/them

Post by defiantoptimist »

Roxy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:56 am

I think a lot of people can agree that the GBA versions of FF I II IV V and VI are good, except for the music lmao

I played this romhack of the SNES version of FFVI and it was cool.

I hadn’t heard of this romhack. I’ll have to try it when I finally decide to play through 6 again. As far as my favourite, it’d probably be 6 followed by 9. I do want to try playing through 5, 8, X-2 and 12, especially since I bailed on 8 after I had spent an hour in a fight with random enemies just siphoning heal spells and realizing my brain wasn’t going to allow me to just progress (the “numbers go up :D” part of my brain was just getting lit up doing spell draws).

ImageImageImageImage

ARKYmouse
Fox Pal
Name: Mouse
Pronouns:

They/Them (Any)

Flags:

:flag_nonbinary: :flag_demisexual: :flag_aromantic:

Post by ARKYmouse »

Roxy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:56 am

I played this romhack of the SNES version of FFVI and it was cool. I remember enjoying the PSP version of FF1, I assume FF2 was cool too. The PSP version of FF1 had a lot of extra content, too. I played the Android port of the DS version of FFIV, and it was cool too, though I heard they made stuff harder?

So yea like, there's ways to play the games. I haven't played the Pixel Remasters yet, but I heard that they're just remakes of the originals with no extra content, which makes absolutely no sense to me, but hey whatever lmao

I need to give this one a try, cause I was really disappointed with RPGOne's attempt at script and bug cleanup. The font on that was a nightmare for my eyesight and they took some really weird and unnecessary Japanese culture worship directions by omitting some terms from localization. This patch however, looks like everything I've been looking for in FFVI.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

scout
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

they/them

Post by scout »

it's been really hard for me to get into 9... compared to 6/7/8, i'm not too interested in any of the characters so far... i got to

Spoiler

the part where the airship crashes

which took like two hours(?) and i felt like it wasn't grabbing me. does it just start slow or is it just not for me if i'm not already interested? (not trying to be a hater!)

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help them gain World Domination
Jess
Site Owner
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

Post by Jess »

Caliburn wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:41 pm

I tried the first game on WiiWare (didn't even get to Garland lol)

hold up garland is like the first guy

defiantoptimist wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:32 pm

I bailed on 8 after I had spent an hour in a fight with random enemies just siphoning heal spells and realizing my brain wasn’t going to allow me to just progress (the “numbers go up :D” part of my brain was just getting lit up doing spell draws).

I like the idea of 8 and what they tried to do with it, but I think it's really held back by the fact that enemies scale with you so grinding doesn't really do anything. Maybe in like 20 years they'll actually remake it proper and we can get a better realized version of that game

ARKYmouse wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:11 pm

I need to give this one a try, cause I was really disappointed with RPGOne's attempt at script and bug cleanup. The font on that was a nightmare for my eyesight and they took some really weird and unnecessary Japanese culture worship directions by omitting some terms from localization. This patch however, looks like everything I've been looking for in FFVI.

Yea it was pretty good, they went through and fixed a bunch of game breaking bugs except specifically the ones that allow you to just exploit the game lmao (like letting Cyan have his turn infinitely) and yea, overall I had a good time with it

scout wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:45 pm

it's been really hard for me to get into 9... compared to 6/7/8, i'm not too interested in any of the characters so far... i got to

Spoiler

the part where the airship crashes

which took like two hours(?) and i felt like it wasn't grabbing me. does it just start slow or is it just not for me if i'm not already interested? (not trying to be a hater!)

Huh, I figured the introduction of IX would be immediately grabbing because it starts adventurous. I do agree it kinda slows down after you get to that part and the ice cavern, but then it starts slowly building back up again. I think my favorite thing about FFIX is the character growth and development, as well as their interactions together. If they're not grabbing you right away, then maybe it's not for you, but I would say to give it a while more and see

SnugglyBun
Fox Pal
Name: Valeria Nairi
Pronouns:

She/It

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_pansexual:

Post by SnugglyBun »

remind me to continue playing Final Fantasy VII. I'm really bad with keeping up and continuing with things I committed myself to do and that extends to the things i love.