Chess and other board games

For talking about video games, board games, and whatever other kind of games you enjoy.
Taeltales
Fox Pal
Title: Woofpurr Plural syst
Pronouns:

they/them

Heart Chess and other board games

Post by Taeltales »

🐈 Chiva: Well as of late the system and I have been getting into games such as chess and shogi. It's been rather fun learning the games and even playing some games that take the chess concept and push it further. I thought I could make this post so we can discuss their favorite board games like chess or even other types of board games like it.

kkzero
Fox Pal
Title: Curious little bunny
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

:flag_aromantic: :flag_asexual:

Re: Chess and other board games

Post by kkzero »

I have a rather tragic history with chess. I've always ended up forgetting the specifics of how each piece is allowed to move after every time I've had the opportunity to play. That said, I've found the Game Boy port of The Chessmaster to be an oddly soothing experience, even though I'm not much better there. Maybe it's the voice samples?

Anyway, as far as board games go for me otherwise, I don't come to them often, but I did get some enjoyment out of Scrabble with some family during an emotionally low point over the summer. Here's how our games turned out.

20230710_184147.jpg
20230711_164557.jpg
Taeltales
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

they/them

Post by Taeltales »

kkzero wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:33 pm

I have a rather tragic history with chess. I've always ended up forgetting the specifics of how each piece is allowed to move after every time I've had the opportunity to play. That said, I've found the Game Boy port of The Chessmaster to be an oddly soothing experience, even though I'm not much better there. Maybe it's the voice samples?

Anyway, as far as board games go for me otherwise, I don't come to them often, but I did get some enjoyment out of Scrabble with some family during an emotionally low point over the summer. Here's how our games turned out.

20230710_184147.jpg
20230711_164557.jpg

🐈 Chiva: Oh we know the feeling of that well, Tael always had trouble with the game when they were younger, luckily at this point there are plenty of resources to help you learn the game, even letting you play with players of your own skill level.

Scrabble's a game we actually have little experience with, even growing up. I'm glad you've been had fun with your game of it.

scout
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

they/them

Post by scout »

i sorta want to get into riichi mahjong and/or go but they have pretty steep learning curves and my friends aren't too interested. root is maybe the cutest board game but it falls just short of being fun i think. diplomacy is cool but it will make you hate your friends. i don't really like how people think about chess, it kinda reminds me of rubik's cubes where it looks impressive at first but then you figure out it's sorta just memorizing a million things... maybe i'm wrong though! i haven't tried to really dive into it.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help them gain World Domination
Taeltales
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

they/them

Post by Taeltales »

scout wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:01 am

i sorta want to get into riichi mahjong and/or go but they have pretty steep learning curves and my friends aren't too interested. root is maybe the cutest board game but it falls just short of being fun i think. diplomacy is cool but it will make you hate your friends. i don't really like how people think about chess, it kinda reminds me of rubik's cubes where it looks impressive at first but then you figure out it's sorta just memorizing a million things... maybe i'm wrong though! i haven't tried to really dive into it.

🐈 Chiva: While we don't have too much experience with Diplomacy and Roots, we have dabbled in Riichi Mahjong and have been meaning to get back into the game. I do recommend looking into kemeno mahjong, as it's a nice option to learn the game as it gives you a nice tutorial, and lets you play against AI as you learn.
We were also recommended to have a cheetsheet on hand to help you keep track of what you need for hands.

Chess is the sort of game that you do need to study but it's also good to practice as you do it. Honestly it's not that much different from a lot of other games that run by a meta, interesting at first but becomes formulaic. Chess though has several ways of mixing it up with variant versions of the game, a good portion you can play online. One good example is fog of war chess, essentially having a fog that covers your opponent's side of the board that you uncover with your pieces, which changes up how you play the game a decent amount.
There's also some games that take chess and completley change things up up to remove the memorization aspects. Such as The Ourobros king which takes chess and turns it into a roguelite style game where you build up your army with pieces both old and new.
There's also really bad chess which has pieces randomly given on the board, though this is a mobile game so take that as you would.
Chess in some form is worth giving a shot, even if it isn't the "original" version (even that is an evolution of the true original version of chess Chatarunga)

While I'm writing this post, our obsession with ancient board games. we recently gotten a mobile app that lets you play a few of them, from the royal game of Ur to Pulac. There's just something about that are so much fun to play. It honestly started up with finding out about the Royal game of Ur one of the oldest board games on record. also helps you can easily play it online.