Fantasy board games

Post about your games or other projects here!
Taeltales
Fox Pal
Title: Woofpurr Plural syst
Pronouns:

they/them

Star Fantasy board games

Post by Taeltales »

🐈 Chiva: Hello and welcome to our thread on some board games that I thought of while doing some game concepts, and I thought I might as well develop them a bit more, and get some input on here while I was at it.

The first one one is inspired by Chess and Hnefatafl, otherwise known as Viking chess, which I call Ordereign.

001.png
001.png (3.25 KiB) Viewed 4538 times

Ordereign is a asymmetrical two player game. The idea will be that White will have a numbers advantage, but black will have more powerful pieces. the win conditions will be either white capturing the relic keeper (basically this game's king for black), or Black capturing all of white's pieces. I'm currently trying to think of how exactly the pieces will move, if anyone has any advice, we're all ears on that front.

Efi
Fox Pal
Name: Efi
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_lesbian: :flag_nonbinary: :flag_polyamory: :flag_demisexual:

Re: Fantasy board games

Post by Efi »

could be white move kinda like regular checkers, only one space of the 8 around, jumping one to capture, then black move like dames or chess queens, anywhere on the whole row/column/diagonal, jumping over to capture?

ImageImageImageImage

Taeltales
Fox Pal
Title: Woofpurr Plural syst
Pronouns:

they/them

Post by Taeltales »

Efi wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:00 pm

could be white move kinda like regular checkers, only one space of the 8 around, jumping one to capture, then black move like dames or chess queens, anywhere on the whole row/column/diagonal, jumping over to capture?

🐕 Akira: Honestly having white move as checkers is a smart idea but maybe having ALL of black's pieces move as a queens would be too over powering on black's side, (not entirely sure what Dame's are persay, what game does that come from?), but yeah, the checker based movement does sound pretty good. Thanks for the tip on that.

As an update, I finally got started on polishing up the pieces, starting with White which I call the Order Soldier, I took inspiration from Hnefatafl's pieces.

002.png
002.png (11.16 KiB) Viewed 4306 times

Also expanded the board size as I accidentally made the piece size TOO large but I liked how it turned out too much to fix it.

Efi
Fox Pal
Name: Efi
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_lesbian: :flag_nonbinary: :flag_polyamory: :flag_demisexual:

Post by Efi »

oh, I guess that was a spanishm... in spanish, checkers is called "damas" and the upgraded checker is a queen ("reina"), but I must have had a brainyot if "dame" is not the english word for upgraded checker =P
the thing about the upgrade in checkers is that it can move backwards and far, but clearly that doesn't work when the board has no clear directions, so it doesn't apply directly
I only mentioned as the closest example I know, but I am certain there are better examples I don't know about

ImageImageImageImage