Video Games "Oh that's how that works"

For talking about video games, board games, and whatever other kind of games you enjoy.
Sharb
Fox Pal
Name: Sharb
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her, They/Them

Flags:

:flag_pansexual: :flag_trans:

Book Video Games "Oh that's how that works"

Post by Sharb »

Came across this video today

Besides making me wish this video was around when I was recreating bosses for make a good mega man level 2, this made me think about how much I love just, having the knowledge for how games do their stuff, like yeah this helps get better at fighting bosses in mega man 5 but it's also a good video for figuring out an approach for doing your own ideas.

At some point I wanna do a video about Sonic 2 talking about skipping the water section in chemical plant act 2 using an obscure oversight in the layer switching.

Is there any other resources out there explaining how things work and you find really interesting?

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Re: Video Games "Oh that's how that works"

Post by Jess »

oh man I gotta check out this video later

I'm pretty sure at least half the people in this forum know about Retro Game Mechanics Explained, but I'd be remiss to not bring it up

And there's also Displaced Gamers

Both of them really get into the technical aspects of how a lot of stuff works, but still keep it straightforward and understandable

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sharb
Fox Pal
Name: Sharb
Pronouns:

She/Her, They/Them

Flags:

:flag_pansexual: :flag_trans:

Post by Sharb »

I really loved how Displaced Gamers just uploaded 3 videos in a row talking about how broken TMNT nes was.

NinTheFolf
Fox Pal
Name: Nin
Pronouns:

He/Him

Post by NinTheFolf »

As someone who played that game as a kid, yeah it was pretty bad lmfao.

I remember seeing this video on it awhile back, had to dig through my history for it.

...and I"m just realizing this is one of the three you were talking about, welp. I am clearly awake.

Image Signature perpetually under construction.

defiantoptimist
Fox Pal
Name: Cameron
Pronouns:

They/them

Post by defiantoptimist »

I live Displaced Gamer’s videos. I’m not great at coding but I love videos explaining how it works, and how it doesn’t.

ImageImageImageImage

SatyricalSol
Fox Pal
Name: Solara
Pronouns:

she/they

Post by SatyricalSol »

Oh wow I didn't actually know any of these channels! Been needing a fresh set of things to binge, perfect timing.

OrangeRob
Fox Pal
Name: Rob
Title: Orange Shirt Guy
Pronouns:

He/Him

Flags:

:flag_pansexual:

Post by OrangeRob »

How games determine pickup item drops is interesting, early Zelda games are interesting examples of them.

Zelda LTTP adds in a mechanic where if you defeat enemies in a certain way they will always drop a certain pick up item, one example is using a boomerang then killing an enemy when they're stunned will always drop a green rupee, another example is if you freeze the enemy via either using Ice Rod or Either, then killing them with a hammer they will always drop magic refill items.

Titou
Fox Pal
Title: lazy lua modder
Pronouns:

He/Him

Post by Titou »

I never played doom personally but I really like watching his analyis videos about that game:

It's mostly because I mod srb2 and kart, and it's interessting for me to see how some doom's functionalities are shared within those two games.

Spoiler

Like the final boss is based on the cyberdemon

(Even after 5 years, I still never learned how to make a map in this engine lmao)

Viomeme
Fox Pal
Name: Violet
Pronouns:

She/They

Flags:

:flag_trans:

Post by Viomeme »

This thread is amazing, can't wait to spend a full day watching these. Makes me kinda wanna learn how to code/decomp among other things.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage