Waiting for a Godot thread

For talking about computers, the internet, and other tech-related things.
NovaSquirrel
Name: Nova
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

:flag_asexual:

Re: Waiting for a Godot thread

Post by NovaSquirrel »

I've been wanting to try Godot since it's really cool to have an engine that's open source (which is important to me since I want to feel like I'm actually in control of the tools I use) but I haven't had a project that feels like it calls for it just yet. If I'm just making a 2D sprite game I'll generally want my game logic to be in C or C++ and not tied to an engine, so I can port it to whatever platform I want without much trouble, so it would have to be a game that wouldn't matter for. So I've been thinking I'd explore it when I finally try something 3D.

I did follow some tutorials. The overall setup of everything seemed interesting, though it definitely did look like something I'd have to get used to, because it's a very different way of thinking about game dev. I also tried making a dev tool in it at one point, and it turns out Godot is actually really good for easily making GUI programs in, though I didn't end up going very far because I realized that if I made the tool there'd be a net time loss, compared to just doing the thing the tool was going to do by hand.

Petal Crash 2 uses Godot and I've been able to have a peek into the development of a Godot game that way.

Image Image Image

Efi
Fox Pal
Name: Efi
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_lesbian: :flag_nonbinary: :flag_polyamory: :flag_demisexual:

Post by Efi »

The godot GUI stuff is far from ideal, but it is way better than doing it on your own. If you want to do 3D, blender is so good for that. I can help you with that if you need.

ImageImageImageImage

Sharb
Fox Pal
Name: Sharb
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her, They/Them

Flags:

:flag_pansexual: :flag_trans:

Post by Sharb »

Efi wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:27 pm

The godot GUI stuff is far from ideal, but it is way better than doing it on your own. If you want to do 3D, blender is so good for that. I can help you with that if you need.

I'm really hoping they can eventually get it so that you can undock all the windows so that you don't have to keep tabbing over to everything.
Wish I didn't have to leave the visual area to look at my code all the time, I'm aware it's has some undocking features but it's pretty bare right now