Forum Theme Suggestions and Issues

Here you'll find information about Shield Cat, Cosmogelica, and more! You can also find topics for the forum itself here.

Moderator: Jess

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Forum Theme Suggestions and Issues

Post by Jess »

I'm working on a light theme. It's based on the dark theme, which is based on the Prosilver Dark theme, which is based on the Prosilver theme, so we've got like, stacks upon stacks upon stacks of CSS. The point is, there will be problems lmao

Right now what I'm aware of is topic icons not showing properly, but honestly they just don't show properly anyways and I'm thinking about just getting rid of them lmao

Anyways, this thread will be to report issues with light/dark themes that you find, or any suggestions you may have

edit: I forgot to mention, to get it to work properly I had to make a bunch of symlinks on the server to make the site go "ok I believe you, these are 'light' 'theme' 'files'" (but they're actually just dark theme files 😏)

Also, do you know how hard it is to make a theme that expresses the Autumn Grove style I'm going for with nice warm colors without making it look like Cohost lmao

edit 2: I forgot to mention, though it's probably implied: You can go to the Board Settings in your user profile to toggle to the Light Theme

Attachments
chrome_2023-10-20_15-32-46.png
chrome_2023-10-20_15-33-19.png

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

Evil Sonic
Mods

Re: Forum Theme Suggestions and Issues

Post by Evil Sonic »

Suggestions for just these two themes or suggestions for more themes? lol

[marquee]Image[/marquee]

Jess
Site Owner
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

Post by Jess »

Evil Sonic wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:26 am

Suggestions for just these two themes or suggestions for more themes? lol

It could cause a lot of work for me to add more themes, so let's just keep it to these two lmao

Jess
Site Owner
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

Post by Jess »

I went ahead and updated the light and dark themes after I got feedback about the performance of the site. It's a forum so it shouldn't be slow, and I guess the drop shadows and background blur were making it slow? So I got rid of both and also simplified stuff so there's less fancy effects overall. While I was in there, I also took the time to try to work on the contrast of text in actual post bodies. Let me know if it needs more work!

Jess
Site Owner
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

Forum Weirdly Slow Sometimes?

Post by Jess »

🦊Something we've noticed off and on when coming to the forum is like, it'll stay with the spinning loading circle in the browser tab, sometimes for a few minutes, and then it finally will load and then will work as normal. Has anyone else experienced this? I'll be honest, we have no idea what's causing it. We'd think maybe it's some kind of backup stuff or something but like, the rest of our website is hosted on the same server, and the gallery on that site uses the same database, and there's no problems loading that. Maybe phpBB writes something every time you visit the page, and it's waiting for database write access? Not really sure

Anyways, mainly we want to know if anyone else has experienced this, or if it's just us

kkzero
Fox Pal
Title: Curious little bunny
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

:flag_aromantic: :flag_asexual:

Post by kkzero »

Yeah I can recall several times where the site was just stuck loading for a time, but then I click my bookmark again a bit after and it loads fine.

Jess
Site Owner
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

Post by Jess »

kkzero wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:40 pm

Yeah I can recall several times where the site was just stuck loading for a time, but then I click my bookmark again a bit after and it loads fine.

Ough, well at least we know it's not us now

Jess
Site Owner
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

Post by Jess »

🦊found the culprit of the random forum unavailability, it was the database backup. It was doing a dump and sending that to us, but our internet is slow, meaning that the database was locked up for the entire time (20-30 minutes!!) I rewrote it so instead, it does the dump on the server, zips that up, and then sends that to us separately. The forum was unavailable for about 20 seconds lmao

At the time I'm writing this, I'm still waiting on the download of the database backup, however, as the actual database is no longer involved the forum isn't locked up. Chalk this up to me writing the backup script before having a lot of data and realizing the way I was doing it was pretty bad!!!