Old Web New Again

For talking about computers, the internet, and other tech-related things.
SnepperStepper
Fox Pal
Name: Miranda
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_pansexual: :flag_lesbian: :flag_polyamory: :flag_demisexual:

Old Web New Again

Post by SnepperStepper »

So admittedly I've still got a lot to learn about web development, but I've gotten this thing in my head about the way the old web connects and displays- pre-facebook, but years-wise the 90s and early aughts -as well as being able to call up websites made now to recreate that vibe on vintage hardware without modernization. I suppose I'm the most interested in Windows 98, but basically XP and back plus whatever relevant Mac and linux and such systems. I just know old windows and what I want to revisit, lol.
Right now the interest is in making a homepage in HTML, some sort of image gallery offshoot for Mavica and such shots, and perhaps a message board. But that can and will expand once the ball gets rolling. Any hints about creating FMV & point and click in games would also be helpful for tangentially relevant reasons.
Would also love to get one of those ole webrings going, if there's any similar sites!

So like, discuss?

~ I'm what you want, not what you need ~

And staring at the gray
It was completely still
Except the pounding of my heart
Bringing me back to life
From three strange days

Image Image Image Image Image

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Re: Old Web New Again

Post by Jess »

🦊We actually were working on a new version of the site that's very old school inspired, which you can see here: https://cyansorcery.com/newtest.html (no idea how long this link will be valid, but we haven't worked on it in a while - too many other things going on)
It's inspired by sites like the ones for paint tool sai and paint.net, as well as HxD. Our friend Nova also has a delightfully retro site and there's more but I can't think of them right now

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

SnepperStepper
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

Post by SnepperStepper »

Jess wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:25 am

🦊We actually were working on a new version of the site that's very old school inspired, which you can see here: https://cyansorcery.com/newtest.html (no idea how long this link will be valid, but we haven't worked on it in a while - too many other things going on)
It's inspired by sites like the ones for paint tool sai and paint.net, as well as HxD. Our friend Nova also has a delightfully retro site and there's more but I can't think of them right now

Does it run on windows 98?

~ I'm what you want, not what you need ~

And staring at the gray
It was completely still
Except the pounding of my heart
Bringing me back to life
From three strange days

Image Image Image Image Image

VAdaPEGA
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

any

Flags:

:flag_asexual:

Post by VAdaPEGA »

SnepperStepper wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:04 pm
Jess wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:25 am

Does it run on windows 98?

I think some of the gradients might give it trouble since those weren't standardized back then (I remember it being a pain to get a good gradient accross multiple browsers to be consistent when I first drafted my tumblr page, despite not using the website until recently), but other than that, most of it would be on par given a higher display resolution.

or... at least I think most of it was valid with CSS back then?

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Post by Jess »

🦨Unfortunately our site wont run in Windows 98 because the server will accept no less than TLS 1.2. We don't really need HTTPS for the main part of the site but like, what you browse on the site is between you and the site (also when you use HTTPS you can't really get man-in-the-middle attacks where people put some shit on the page that isn't ours)

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

SnepperStepper
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

Post by SnepperStepper »

Yeah, like, running on windows 98 is kinda my point. lol