Old shool racers

For talking about video games, board games, and whatever other kind of games you enjoy.
NovaSquirrel
Name: Nova
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

:flag_asexual:

Re: Old shool racers

Post by NovaSquirrel »

I played a bunch of LEGO Racers and Crash Team Racing as a kid, and those were the racing games I really had since I didn't actually own Mario Kart. I really enjoyed the kart building aspects of LEGO Racers and it was actually really cool to me as a kid to have some sort of 3D LEGO building tool in the first place, even if it was extremely simple. Being able to use the creation I built in the actual game was a bonus. The game lost a lot of magic for me when I noticed the opponents just moved in the same path every time, but maybe there's fun to be had from trying to figure out the best route in something consistent like this. I was excited for LEGO 2K Drive (because it seemed like I was going to finally get something like LEGO Racers that had the kart building stuff I liked, but modern) until I found out it was full of microtransactions.

I liked how Crash Team Racing did a whole bunch of its own stuff even though it was clearly trying to be Mario Kart, like the story mode, its own distinct mechanics (I loved intentionally getting air time to get boosts!) and just some cool creativity in the powerups. I especially how the TNT works, where it gets stuck on you and starts to explode when you run over it, but if you jump enough it flies off and can explode on someone else. It did feel weird to have unlockable characters that are just better than the ones you start out with, without really putting any notice of that that on the character select screen.

Image Image Image

Titou
Fox Pal
Title: lazy lua modder
Pronouns:

He/Him

Post by Titou »

I have a good passion with racing games, I played V-rally 2 on PS1 when I was a kid and loved the heck out of its intro and playing a good amount of it. I also played a lot of Micromachines V3, the best multiplayer racing, i'm also lucky to play with 8 players, with two multitaps. there was one map where instead of racing we were going on a cube and fight us with the hammer powerup, the true chaos.

I do notice I did played some Kart racers before I play mario kart for the first time on Gamecube, I also prefer playing and trying some others games of the genre because I'm tired of mario kart.
I did want to try as many kart racers (and by extention top-down racers) one day...

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Post by Jess »

🦊seeing this thread again makes me think about how sometime we wanna prototype some kind of mode 7 kart racer thing like super mario kart. could be fun I think

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage