Futurama

For posting about videos, TV shows, movies, comics, and other things that you enjoy
Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Futurama

Post by Jess »

Did anyone else watch that new Futurama on Hulu? I thought it wasn't good at all, and it actually made me question if Futurama was ever good. I haven't watched it in years, so now I'm like, hmm maybe I should watch some older ones and see lmao

Idk like, I just felt like after so many seasons they've run out of things to do with these characters and relationships to explore with them, and a lot of the jokes were really surface level and topical. Topical humor can be ok, but like, not for the whole thing

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sharb
Fox Pal
Name: Sharb
Pronouns:

She/Her, They/Them

Flags:

:flag_pansexual: :flag_trans:

Re: Futurama

Post by Sharb »

I've seen some interesting topics for some of the episodes but I feel like Futurama is falling into the same boat as Simpsons for me.
It doesn't matter to me if the quality's good, I think it's being held back by it's own legacy.

I don't think Futurama ever had as strong of a sense of humor as Simpsons did but I feel like the humor and writing just didn't hit the same as it was before the first cancellation.
Like I remember one concept they came up with was the "what if machine" where the premise was that it would be an else world story but specifically prompted from the characters in the real timeline asking questions about what another reality would look like, like "what if life were more like a video game" or "what if I was a little more impulsive" the scenarios tying into an related aspect of the character, like if an episode just starts with one of the characters killing everyone else just wouldn't really work on it's own and would be kinda boring. Having it tie into one of the characters just makes it work.

Like yeah the stories aren't real but you still feel like you're getting something out of the character and the scenarios were pretty fun.
They still tried doing this in the rebooted series but for some reason they dropped the what if machine entirely, like it's just someone watching a TV channel or just an else world story with no explanation.

I'll admit I wasn't excited when I heard there was a new hulu reboot, I feel like futurama had it's time and actually got to tie everything off before it got canceled again.
I want to move on and I wanna see new shows from these creators.

I hate seeing these shows come back knowing it's because original shows don't get green lit anymore and I especially hate how you can hear the voice actors voices giving out doing these characters after 20 years. I'd love to see what a spiritual successor to Futurama could have been like how Futurama was to the Simpsons. (one that's good)
Jess
Site Owner
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

Post by Jess »

Sharb wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:49 pm I want to move on and I wanna see new shows from these creators.
I guess Disenchantment is kinda that? But it was stressful watching that because every episode ended on a cliffhanger, and I was like, is Netflix gonna cancel this before it can end? But they didn't, so that's cool. However, the ending was kinda underwhelming? In a few years I'm gonna rewatch it all at once now that it's complete and see if it's more enjoyable.

Sharb
Fox Pal
Name: Sharb
Pronouns:

She/Her, They/Them

Flags:

:flag_pansexual: :flag_trans:

Post by Sharb »

Roxy wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:17 pm
Sharb wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:49 pm

I want to move on and I wanna see new shows from these creators.

I guess Disenchantment is kinda that? But it was stressful watching that because every episode ended on a cliffhanger, and I was like, is Netflix gonna cancel this before it can end? But they didn't, so that's cool. However, the ending was kinda underwhelming? In a few years I'm gonna rewatch it all at once now that it's complete and see if it's more enjoyable.

I feel like my issue with Disenchantment is that it kept changing direction like it started off being it's own self contained episode before shifting to an overarching plotline and most of the jokes just didn't hit for me.

Jess
Site Owner
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

Post by Jess »

yeaaaaaaaa at first it was episodic and cool but that got dropped really fast lmao

I think maybe those guys just don't have it in em anymore