I got a TV antenna in 2023

For posting about videos, TV shows, movies, comics, and other things that you enjoy
scout
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

they/them

Re: I got a TV antenna in 2023

Post by scout »

mine has a coax connector but i think the way they work is that they're not directly compatible with older TVs, you also need a digital converter box or something like that unless your TV has a digital tuner built in

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help them gain World Domination
ARKYmouse
Fox Pal
Name: Mouse
Pronouns:

They/Them (Any)

Flags:

:flag_nonbinary: :flag_demisexual: :flag_aromantic:

Post by ARKYmouse »

SnepperStepper wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:59 pm

I meant the antennae the thread's about, not a TV ^^;

I'm sorry, agh n.n; only after re-reading your question did I make any sense of it. I thought we were talking about personal setups. .w.;

scout wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:06 am

mine has a coax connector but i think the way they work is that they're not directly compatible with older TVs, you also need a digital converter box or something like that unless your TV has a digital tuner built in

Yep, that's correct. Antennas take coaxial, but the antenna's not enough anymore. To get working channels, you need to hook up your antenna to a digital converter box, which connects to your TV. Depending on the box, you can usually get coaxial, AV Composite, AV Component, and HDMI out to connect to the TV.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

SnepperStepper
Fox Pal
Name: Miranda
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_pansexual: :flag_lesbian: :flag_polyamory: :flag_demisexual:

Post by SnepperStepper »

Isn't the digital in the antenna? IDK, that's what I heard about the new antennas last time the subject went around. If you ask me, they should just give the old bandwidth to enthusiasts to do local shows and stuff. That's something I've always wanted to do....I've already pretty much got my own '90s TV station set up in my basement anyways.

~ I'm what you want, not what you need ~

And staring at the gray
It was completely still
Except the pounding of my heart
Bringing me back to life
From three strange days

Image Image Image Image Image

ARKYmouse
Fox Pal
Name: Mouse
Pronouns:

They/Them (Any)

Flags:

:flag_nonbinary: :flag_demisexual: :flag_aromantic:

Post by ARKYmouse »

it depends on the TV itself. HD TVs usually have that sort of thing built in. The antenna doesn't usually have a digital converter built in. Antennas advertising themselves as digital-ready might be referring to them being UHF instead of VHF, which simply means they can receive frequencies within the range of digital broadcasts. On their own however, they typically can't do anything with those received signals. The converter handles that part.

As for those lower frequencies, those signals were handed over to telecommunications services to make band-line room for stuff like smart phone signals. (You might even notice on older TVs, how every so often, you'll get weird fuzzy beeping noises coming through your signal when a cellphone is receiving service next to it.) Simply put, analogue lines were removed from television broadcasting by the FCC to make way for newer technologies. Thus, it became difficult, and eventually impractical to broadcast on those frequencies. You'd get a lot of interference, and for broadcasters, receive just as much! I think it's now illegal to publicly broadcast on those frequencies. The last of NTSC analogue band lines finally went off air about two years ago.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

NovaSquirrel
Name: Nova
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

:flag_asexual:

Post by NovaSquirrel »

And now after having had an antenna for my TV for awhile, I have turned into the person who knows when Cyberchase s on and tries to catch it on TV haha. I still like it!!

Image Image Image