Archipelago

For talking about video games, board games, and whatever other kind of games you enjoy.
NinTheFolf
Fox Pal
Name: Nin
Pronouns:

He/Him

Archipelago

Post by NinTheFolf »

I figured I'd make a topic for this as it's been my current obsession, and I'm curious if anyone else plays with it.

Archipelago started as a Link to the Past multiworld randomizer, and has since expanded to support a large list of games with more being worked on by folk all the time.

I was ecstatic when my childhood favorite game (Zillion) got added and I often host games with folk.

Image Signature perpetually under construction.

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Re: Archipelago

Post by Jess »

oh yea I heard about this, it sounds kinda fun

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

FaultBat
Mods
Name: FaultBat
Title: Bat
Pronouns:

Any. Mix it up!

Flags:

-rf

Post by FaultBat »

Oh yeah, I've played a couple of times by my lonesome and had a good time, and am currently waiting for the big community game to start! One of these days I'll get the courage (and free time) to play some more multiworld games with folks!

🦇
NinTheFolf
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

He/Him

Post by NinTheFolf »

Heck yeah, I submitted 3 games for that and I've been lookin' forward to it. I didn't have time for the last one D:

Elfi
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

she/fae

Flags:

HW_SPRITE;

Post by Elfi »

I occasionally played Archipelago with another friend group, but I got tired of the host grabbing like 10 games at once while we all got stuck in BK. Would be down for doing something though! Probably would join with separate LttP/SM worlds for now, since SMZ3 and its trackers are a little less refined

Not to be confused with Efi

Image Image Image Image Image

NinTheFolf
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

He/Him

Post by NinTheFolf »

I will admit that's one of the biggest temptations for me, I have about 10 or so games setup but I limit myself to avoid that exact situation XD I'll often play one long game and maybe one or two short ones.

FaultBat
Mods
Name: FaultBat
Title: Bat
Pronouns:

Any. Mix it up!

Flags:

-rf

Post by FaultBat »

There probably needs to be an expectation set for everyone involved in a game to have roughly the same amount of stuff to do (or less for players with less time). Like, I'll normally take any opportunity to play Factorio, but I'm not going to run a 30 hour marathon Factorio if someone else is just playing Super Mario World or something. :neofox_laugh_sweat:

🦇
Facet
Fox Pal
Name: Fscet
Title: Raccoon
Pronouns:

She/They

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_nonbinary: :flag_asexual: :flag_pansexual: :flag_lesbian: :flag_polyamory:

Post by Facet »

I'm pretty big into AP, myself. I've learned like 16 of them now, to at least a moderately comfortable extent.

I think we should try setting up a beginners-friendly async sometime (which is to say, we're not all expecting to play a single live session, and the seed might take from a full day to a full week without expectations of people playing a certain amount or not, within reason.)

It lets people who want to go ham do so without holding others' time hostage, or giving people who don't know what they're doing very well with their game/seed time to figure things out without pressure. It's also good for avoiding scheduling conflict nightmares, because uh, there isn't any scheduling to do. :P

NinTheFolf
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

He/Him

Post by NinTheFolf »

Scheduling is so hard which is why I tend to prefer asyncs as well. Also since a good chunk of my friends I play with are on the other side of the world XP

I'd be very down for one, and can host it as well~!

Facet
Fox Pal
Name: Fscet
Title: Raccoon
Pronouns:

She/They

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_nonbinary: :flag_asexual: :flag_pansexual: :flag_lesbian: :flag_polyamory:

Post by Facet »

We should probably, if we want to try one that's open to beginners, set up one with no planned deadline or next one, with a "hopefully" of around a week, and see what happens. I've played a pretty good amount of the games on the main branch and a few in beta, so I should be able to help with setup and troubleshooting for new players.

The bigger question would be how we go about a proper interest check and open the discussion for concerns potential players would have.