horror/halloween games for the season?

For talking about video games, board games, and whatever other kind of games you enjoy.
orchidrabbit
Fox Pal
Name: r_m_
Pronouns:

he/him

horror/halloween games for the season?

Post by orchidrabbit »

Any halloween/horror games you recommend or just wanna talk about? I've been looking for some stuff to play as the reason for the season.

recently i finished yuppie psycho and i think i do like it albeit i have some qualms about the storytelling in that game, but i also spent like the past 5 years of my life utterly obsessed with FAITH and now that i've nearly 100%ed that game save for that one achievement that's the bane of my life, yuppie psycho ovbs can't compare but it's still a really interesting "corporate horror" game.

oh also last year i played yomawari: lost in the dark, which i utterly loved. i like all the yomawari games but they're so utterly dark for the presentation and art style. but i still think they're really good horror games.

ImageImage

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Re: horror/halloween games for the season?

Post by Jess »

It's probably my obligation to the Finji chat to mention Night in the Woods lmao, especially since people come round to celebrate it every year around this time

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

scout
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

they/them

Post by scout »

my friend made a very cool halloween sprite comic about a christmas tree
https://desktop-metaphor.itch.io/halloween

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help them gain World Domination
Efi
Fox Pal
Name: Efi
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_lesbian: :flag_nonbinary: :flag_polyamory: :flag_demisexual:

Post by Efi »

I have to mention Gloomwood because it hits the exact aesthetic that makes me enjoy horror, but also I am too scared to finish it (it's a hard game)

ImageImageImageImage

Kirbizard
Mods
Pronouns:

They/Them

Post by Kirbizard »

I just bought Ghostbusters Spirits Unleashed the other day because it just came out on Steam, and it is shockingly good. It's an asymmetric multiplayer game where you have 4 ghostbusters vs 1 ghost player.

It definitely leans more into comedy than horror, but I find it especially funny how playing as the lone ghost can be more scary because you have four people hunting you down lmao

Efi wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:29 pm

I have to mention Gloomwood because it hits the exact aesthetic that makes me enjoy horror, but also I am too scared to finish it (it's a hard game)

Gloomwood is so good, it absolutely nails the Thief atmosphere what with the dark victorian city and supernatural elements. Cannot wait for it to be out of Early Access.

Efi
Fox Pal
Name: Efi
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_lesbian: :flag_nonbinary: :flag_polyamory: :flag_demisexual:

Post by Efi »

I am a complete dumbass, I meant to link Darkwood, not Gloomwood...
They are both good games, but I wouldn't call Gloomwood a hard game. As a Thief-like, it is very much diminished by your ability to reload the game, but it does have a good atmosphere.
Darkwood is the one that makes me shiver, though, for all the ghastly and meaty, rotting vibes.

ImageImageImageImage

kkzero
Fox Pal
Title: Curious little bunny
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

:flag_aromantic: :flag_asexual:

Post by kkzero »

Can't pass by this thread without mentioning Metroid Fusion. The SA-X encounters are pretty much survival horror segments, and the basic concept behind the X-Parasites themselves is pretty morbid. Also the soundtrack can get pretty eerie and unsettling, even at a sampling rate of just 10512hz.

Taeltales
Fox Pal
Title: Woofpurr Plural syst
Pronouns:

they/them

Post by Taeltales »

🐈Chiva: We have a few things, while quite not horror related, should be fun to play for Hallow's eve. We recently gotten Jupiter hell, the spiritual successor to Doom Roguelike, which was proven quite fun. We also have a two apocolyptic road trips, with Organ trail and Death Road to Canada, games that share the concept of taking the oregon trail game and adding a zombie survival twist to it. Lastly we do have world of horror to continue playing, may try it's halloween story mode while we're at it.

NinTheFolf
Fox Pal
Name: Nin
Pronouns:

He/Him

Post by NinTheFolf »

Not really a horror game, but the creator of frog fractions put out this cute little pico 8 game called Gordy and the Monster Moon which is a short, enjoyable halloweenish game.

Image Signature perpetually under construction.

Beancatte
Fox Pal

Post by Beancatte »

Obvious one: but World of Horror basically made me realize that, despite my dislike of the overall genre, there are in fact some roguelites I do like. Its good stuff.