Linux Appreciation Station

For talking about computers, the internet, and other tech-related things.
Techokami
Fox Pal
Name: Techokami
Pronouns:

he/him

Linux Appreciation Station

Post by Techokami »

This is the thread to vibe goodly about the Linuxes! Doesn't matter what distro you use, there's no shame!

I've been away from the Linuxes for over a decade before returning in early 2022 due to Windows 11 being a hot mess that won't upgrade over my Windows 10 install. I'm really surprised to see all the pain points I had back in the late 2000s no longer be an issue! Sound is actually multiplexed, so getting a Discord notification doesn't break YouTube audio! And I only needed to mess with two drivers total: wifi (Broadcom lmao) and GPU (noveau "worked" but I wanted the proprietary nvidia driver). I've recently built a new computer that doesn't have these problems and I'm just so amazed at how many drivers ship with the Linux kernel that allow things to Just Work. And WINE has dramatically improved! And Valve has Steam with Proton that games... they just work! I'm so pleasantly surprised :neofox_happy_blep:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

kkzero
Fox Pal
Title: Curious little bunny
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

:flag_aromantic: :flag_asexual:

Re: Linux Appreciation Station

Post by kkzero »

Not currently maining Linux, but I did main Mint for a time as a teenager, and also dabbled in Q4OS because I thought Trinity was cool (it's kinda stuck in the KDE3 past tho). I might just try getting back into it by the time Windows 10's support ends, though, maybe set up my own Debian thing or whatnot, idk. I've never stopped admiring the scrunkly mascots though.

Also I did get some re-exposure several months back when I bought a Steam Deck during the sale, and did some stuff in the Plasma Desktop Mode. Felt quite surreal to play a native Linux port of 3D Pinball on a portable device, straight from Flathub even.

deckpinball.PNG
Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Post by Jess »

yea, my current PC can't even get Windows 11 but from what I've seen of it they can keep it to themselves lmao

I've been experimenting with linux distros, and I'm currently messing around with kubuntu. I quite liked debian with KDE but I couldn't get hardware acceleration to work in the browser, which especially on my laptop is a dealbreaker. Linux does a great deal of stuff, but unfortunately still isn't quite ready for me to use maintime, since my two main programs that I use (SAI 2 and Gamemaker) aren't really available for Linux. Still, I feel like a lot of people could use Linux just fine in 2023 and it'd be alright for them, and I'm hoping that Linux continues to improve as Windows degrades. Maybe we will get that year of the linux desktop after all

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

Efi
Fox Pal
Name: Efi
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_lesbian: :flag_nonbinary: :flag_polyamory: :flag_demisexual:

Post by Efi »

I use debian and

ImageImageImageImage

defiantoptimist
Fox Pal
Name: Cameron
Pronouns:

They/them

Post by defiantoptimist »

I've been considering trying to get back into Linux because I'm getting tired of Windows 11's nonsense (which I normally have a fairly high tolerance for) and I can't afford to go that deep into Apple's ecosystem. I just need to remember to get a USB drive or remember I have an external DVD drive with blank DVDs to try different distros.

ImageImageImageImage

Techokami
Fox Pal
Name: Techokami
Pronouns:

he/him

Post by Techokami »

I was on Windows 10 and my original plan was to switch to Fedora when Win10 hit EOL, but uhhhh my boot drive had other plans :/

So uh yeah for the record I'm currently using Fedora 38 with KDE Plasma. I've got a really good friend who happens to also be part of FESCo so if I have any severe issues I can't solve on my own I can just poke one of the head honchos of the distro on Discord and get some assistance. I'm considering joining as a package maintainer, to provide GZDoom for the distro.

If you're not on the Linux yet and are trying to consider what to use, here's a huge protip: go with something that uses KDE Plasma for the desktop. The KDE Team has done a phenomenal job creating what I can only describe as "better Windows 10". So much of the UI will feel familiar! But it also has really good improvements like tabs in the file manager! Also if you need a simple graphics editor (like Paint on Windows) get KolourPaint, it's basically Windows XP Paint but with modern features and QoL improvements. It properly supports alphatransparency in PNGs, for example!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jess
Site Owner
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

Post by Jess »

KDE is so great, very nice and polished, runs on a good range of hardware, overall very nice

Also Apple lmao, yea go get a mac if you never, ever want to play a game again

NovaSquirrel
Name: Nova
Pronouns:

she/her

Flags:

:flag_asexual:

Post by NovaSquirrel »

My experience with Linux is mostly in the form of servers, but I've played around with treating a Pi as a regular computer I just do regular computer stuff with sometimes, and I used to have an old desktop computer I ran Ubuntu on. I think all the software I rely on works, and the last big obstacle was Mesen, which relied on Windows Forms but no longer does in Mesen 2, but I haven't really had a reason to switch yet.

Image Image Image

Jess
Site Owner
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

Post by Jess »

I'm pretty sure I used mesen in linux but I think I had to install .net?

defiantoptimist
Fox Pal
Name: Cameron
Pronouns:

They/them

Post by defiantoptimist »

Roxy wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:17 am

KDE is so great, very nice and polished, runs on a good range of hardware, overall very nice

Also Apple lmao, yea go get a mac if you never, ever want to play a game again

The rumour is tonight they’re going to focus on “high-end gaming” in their presentation. “To be able to play Resident Evil Village, please enjoy paying $3500 for a new notebook.” :neofox_scream_scared:

Now I know I’m out of the loop on Linux stuff. The last time I was into it, Gnome was the big thing, but I’m guessing it’s gotten a bit bloated. That seemed to be the direction it was going when I dropped out of it and KDE was Xfce but a bit nicer.

ImageImageImageImage