Metroid

For talking about video games, board games, and whatever other kind of games you enjoy.
Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Re: Metroid

Post by Jess »

I've been following this project on youtube for a while enjoying the little videos I've seen of it, but I didn't know about "Animetroid: Karid-X Dating Simulator." That's really funny lmao but yea, it's looking really good and I hope to check it out one day!!

last night I beat Metroid Dread and like, I think the only thing I don't like about the game is how they have quite a few items that seem to be only obtainable by using the shine spark, which sucks because trying to get the shine spark to go off in the right direction, especially when you have space jump, is really tricky with the analog stick. I wish you were able to run around with the dpad, because it's a weird decision to just have the dpad only have dpad-right mapped to an aeion ability and that's it lmao, however I've been thinking about it and there's not really a solution to it. You start the speed booster by pressing in on the analog stick, so you wouldn't be able to do that with the dpad because all the other buttons are assigned to something else, so yea I kinda get why they went with the way they went. There's no good solution to it given all the other abilities in the game and their mappings

The only other thing is like, it's not really immediately obvious how you're supposed to defeat raven beak. his "counter" prompts are super quick and you can't even see them often given all the other effects going on, so you can just end up sitting there firing missiles at him thinking you're doing damage, but you're actually not doing anything at all. It should have been more obviously conveyed that "hey, your attacks aren't working, try something else." That being said, they did demonstrate that you can damage him when his armor is down, but that's shown at like, the beginning of the game, and I don't think most players will remember that. It seems like they had it in mind too that players might forget, since every time you get the Omega Cannon you have to practice what you're gonna do to the EMMI on the door that lets you out of that room

Anyways, neither one of these things really ruins the experience, because the game is overall very fantastic

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

kkzero
Fox Pal
Title: Curious little bunny
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

:flag_aromantic: :flag_asexual:

Post by kkzero »

The shinespark was indeed an interesting case in Dread. I do recall trying some of those puzzles no less than ten times each before I was able to acquire the pickups they lead to, especially that one Power Bomb that requires morphing/bombing/unmorphing while keeping your speedboost alive. Kind of funny how even the Metroid game for the Nintendo console with the most conventional controller in the modern era suffers the series' Curse of the Weird Controls that began in Super.

And yeah I felt faked out by Raven Beak's melee counter triggers a lot of the time, so it took me a ton of attempts to beat him. While we're talking about him though, and kind of going back to the topic of X-Fusion a bit, I remember finding it absolutely hilarious that his X-infected form basically meant Kraid got an X-infected form in an official game before X-Fusion, having gotten hit with the "Karid-X" joke years prior, could even be finished.

Taiko
Fox Pal

Post by Taiko »

Man I love Metroid. So many good, quality games in the series. My favorites being Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Dread, Zero Mission and Fusion.

kkzero
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

Post by kkzero »

Here's a neat fan thing that isn't really new, but I saw just got overhauled and updated just today--Metroid HD, an HD pack for the original game that runs in the Mesen emulator.

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Post by Jess »

It is absolutely wicked what they're doing with Metroid in 2024. I should really try this out sometime soon. Between this, that SNES port, and Metroid Worlds or whatever it's called, it's a good time for Metroid 1

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

kkzero
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

Post by kkzero »

And yet another M1-related project, this time as a romhack of M2: