Metroid

For talking about video games, board games, and whatever other kind of games you enjoy.
Sharb
Fox Pal
Name: Sharb
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her, They/Them

Flags:

:flag_pansexual: :flag_trans:

Re: Metroid

Post by Sharb »

Beancatte wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:45 am

Even as someone who is a huge fan of the SA-X and EMMI segments, I do kinda wish they cribbed from something like survival horror even more than they already do. As the series trend with Fusion and Dread seems to be leaning more and more into horror/thriller elements, I think something like REmake 2's Mr.X would fit really well in an outright metroidvania.

Anyway for my overall series thoughts: Dread is my absolute favorite with Fusion coming in second.

You got me drooling at the idea of playing a metroid game and the SA-X just burts through a wall you were walking by and you just have to deal with it now

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Post by Jess »

Mr. X vs SA-X who would win

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

kkzero
Fox Pal
Title: Curious little bunny
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

:flag_aromantic: :flag_asexual:

Post by kkzero »

That sounds like it'd be an X-citing X-capade to witness from the X-terior.

Beancatte
Fox Pal

Post by Beancatte »

Metroid Fusion, Is a valentines day game

kkzero
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

Post by kkzero »

Never seen nor heard of this video until now. Never would I have expected to see something so comedic yet so deep at the same time, let alone for a game so near and dear to me.

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Post by Jess »

Last night I was playing Metroid Dread and, man that game is still fantastic. One thing I forgot though is just how tense it can be. People talk about like, what if the emmi could be anywhere, but I think that would make for a game that's too stressful. It's scary to be in their area, but then there's that relief where you get past them and then can get back to exploring. Maybe that's just me though, since I don't really like full on scary games lmao (I also find them quite boring though)

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sharb
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

She/Her, They/Them

Flags:

Post by Sharb »

Oh good I finally have an excuse to talk to people about this

So from what I can gather Metaquarius is doing a port of Metroid fusion into Super Metroid from what I can tell

There's a Tonn of Metroid hacks out there but this one's been the one I've been most interested in by far since I haven't really seen any that go this far into changing how super metroid works.

The other part is that it's not just a straight up port there's a tonne of new things from all the previews I've seen before, like I think the idea of a semi remix or clean up or extended cut for a game that doesn't change it's core is really cool and I kinda wish we got to see more of these.

There was more videos of this spoiling some of the new things in the port but most of them got removed (there's some reuploads floating around if you're really curious)

kkzero
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

Post by kkzero »

Ah yes, X-Fusion. Also known as Animetroid: Karid-X Dating Simulator to some on Metconst. Meta's been working on it for over a decade now, starting as just a port of bosses from Fusion into Super, then going into a full-on replica of Fusion with its own snazz added. Some have joked that it's all Photoshop based on its very long development time with no demo releases, and some have taken issue with how the narrative and characters get presented. But I think it's a very promising project, and have waited years for it myself.

Metaquarius has also made some other hacks in the time this one's been worked on, with the Y-Faster 2 duo getting quite witty from what I recall.

Sharb
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

She/Her, They/Them

Flags:

Post by Sharb »

I never really understood that complaints about changing narratives for big mods like this, like this isn't going to be a replacement for the original and it's only going to be played by people who love the originals enough to play modifications, I think it's fine to make changes here and there so long as they're cool spin of an idea or an improvement.

kkzero
Fox Pal
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

Post by kkzero »

Yeah I absolutely agree, if it were just Fusion recreated in Super's engine in 1:1, then there's not much incentive to download and apply a patch to one game just to turn it into another. And the criticism of the character/plot stuff has really just boiled down to "anime is cringe", so...yeah.

Like, the discourses surrounding that part of the hack were wild several years back. When Meta was asked if it was going to be "a faithful Fusion remake, or Animetroid", he edited the OP of his thread to look like this, and left it that way for a good few years or so:

ANIMETROID.png