Your favorite music genres and albums

For posting about videos, TV shows, movies, comics, and other things that you enjoy
Taeltales
Fox Pal
Title: Woofpurr Plural syst
Pronouns:

they/them

Your favorite music genres and albums

Post by Taeltales »

šŸ• Akira: Well with Tael talking about Vaporwave in the other topic, I thought it would be pretty cool to talk about music in general. There's a lot of genres and works out there that don't get mainstream popularity. Honestly Some of the stuff we freaking love tends to be either calming stuff like Lo-fi, atmospherics, then also love stuff like disco, electroswing, etc.
Yeah, I did say disco, it's honestly fantastic and still plenty of new albums being made of it.

While we have a lot more to talk about I'll give a spell and let you all have a go at bring up your favorite genres and that.

Foxxhoria
Mods
Pronouns:

it/its

Re: Your favorite music genres and albums

Post by Foxxhoria »

I'm a huge metalhead and I could go on and on! My preferences definitely aren't really in the mainstream to begin with and then I also keep exploring deeper and deeper haha. But there's so much passion and creative vibrancy without losing the punchy heaviness to get your body moving that the genre was founded on, while also taking me to all sorts of places lyrically and thematically, I really cannot get enough.

Here are just a few I keep coming back to...

ImageImageImageImageImage

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Post by Jess »

I've been sorting my music library the past couple days since my spotify premium ran out, and the way that software is lately I'm not interested in renewing it. However, my music library is pretty out of date lmao

I used to be more into fast paced stuff and I do still like a good eurobeat once in a while, but lately I've been preferring calm stuff, listening to piano covers of VGM and TPR's melancholy stuff

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord

MetalPetal
Fox Pal
Title: Making a game

Post by MetalPetal »

I gotta talk about that new Sampha album. Dude is one of my favorite music artists and I waited years for this album to come out. He makes RnB/Electronic music and has a gorgeous voice that he gets so much out of. The themes of change, nostalgia, mental health and more that crop up all across this album are the exact type of thing I love to hear artists speak about. Fucking shit it's so good you gotta listen to it.

Working on a game, Project Arnica

ImageImageImage

SatyricalSol
Fox Pal
Name: Solara
Pronouns:

she/they

Post by SatyricalSol »

ough okay time for a potentially Long Post(tm) hooray forums. so preface that I'm generally a singles listener bc even though my parents had a large CD collection (rip the old PCs and MP3 players that held all the MP3s I spent multiple summers ripping) it was largely Greatest Hits and Best of [decade] albums, so there weren't very many actual factual albums I'd listen to much to hear a lot of... not even really deep cuts, even shallow cuts lmao

but yeah genres. they can roughly be split into three big categories
Oldies:

• Blues (Tom Waits, Nick Curran, The Blues Brothers [though they bleed into the rest of this section a lot])

• Soul (Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder)

• Funk (Boney M, Commodores, George Clinton)

• Disco (Heatwave, Kool and the Gang, KC & The Sunshine Band)

• Jazz (Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Cab Calloway)

• Motown (The Supremes, The Temptations, The Vandellas)

• Doo-wop (The Coasters, The Premiers, The Four Seasons)

• The Fallout Genre (Tennessee Ernie Ford, Dean Martin, The Ink Spots)

• Folk (Pete Seeger, Chumbawamba, a whole bunch of random slavic and steppe folk music)

Rock:

• Southern Rock (Creedence, The Doobie Brothers, George Thorogood)

• Singer-Songwriter (Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello)

• British (Queen, Beatles, Fleetwood Mac)

• Alt? Rock (TV on the Radio, R.E.M., Stone Temple Pilots)

• Indie? Rock (CAKE, Mother Mother, Scissor Sisters)

• Prog (Yes, Styx, ELO)

• Blues Rock (The Doors, ZZ Top, Dire Straits)

• Hard Rock (AC/DC, Boston, Foreigner)

• New Wave (Talking Heads, Blondie, Duran Duran)

• Electronic Rock (DEVO, Depeche Mode, I Don't Know How But They Found Me)

• Punk Rock (Against Me!, Propagandhi, Green Day)

• Folk Punk (Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Gogol Bordello)

• Punk (Dead Kennedys, Ebba Grƶn, Hogan's Heroes)

• Metal [very broad net] (Bog Wizard, System of a Down, Powerwolf)

• Ska (Streelight Manifesto, Dem Brooklyn Bums, Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution)

Dance/Club/misc

• Eurodance (Real McCoy, Captain Jack, Ace of Bass)

• Electronic (The Avalanches, Fatboy Slim, others but it is fucking impossible to search for them)

• Chicago House (The Outhere Brothers, Mr. Fingers, Farley "Jackmaster" Funk)

• Hardstyle (a bunch of random no-names)

• Industrial (KMFDM, Static-X, Caustic)

• Comedy (Weird Al, They Might Be Giants, Mojo Nixon) <- listen to these way too much in particular

• Rap (Tyler, Vince Staples, Earl Sweatshirt)

• White Rap (Eminem, Macklemore, Aesop Rock)

• Outlaw Country (Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings)

• Modern Country (Colton Wall, Toby Keith, The Dead South)

• Modern Pop (Charlie XCX, Dua Lipa, Ava Max)

this took way too long but was fun :3

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Post by Jess »

finally, someone who says "I listen to all kinds of music" who actually listens to all kinds of music

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord

Taeltales
Fox Pal
Title: Woofpurr Plural syst
Pronouns:

they/them

Post by Taeltales »

šŸˆ Chiva: I must say you definitely have quite the large musical palette Sol. Actually remember flogging Molly from Tael listening to Man with No country a long while ago, we should try out the band's other works while we're at it.

Roxy wrote: ā†‘Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:19 am

I've been sorting my music library the past couple days since my spotify premium ran out, and the way that software is lately I'm not interested in renewing it. However, my music library is pretty out of date lmao

I used to be more into fast paced stuff and I do still like a good eurobeat once in a while, but lately I've been preferring calm stuff, listening to piano covers of VGM and TPR's melancholy stuff

Honestly one of the main reasons we don't use spotify ourselves, it feels like you do need premium to even to be able to properly use it for music.
We do enjoy Eurobeat on occasion and we simply adore Electroswing. Tael was heavily into Caravan palace for a while when they first got into the genre.

Foxxhoria wrote: ā†‘Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:56 pm

I'm a huge metalhead and I could go on and on! My preferences definitely aren't really in the mainstream to begin with and then I also keep exploring deeper and deeper haha. But there's so much passion and creative vibrancy without losing the punchy heaviness to get your body moving that the genre was founded on, while also taking me to all sorts of places lyrically and thematically, I really cannot get enough.

Oh my even with our little experience with metal this does have quite the refreshing takes from what we've head.

Akira decided to try out Dungeon synth and we're honestly enjoying ourselves with it.

Speaking of the atmospheric genre one artist we love is Leyland Kirby (yes of caretaker fame)

even outside of his most known moniker and work, his work can have such sorrow yet still have this tinge of comfort to it.

Also Tael did find out while posting That Begotten album on the vaporwave thread, that they actually released a new album (for a bit of context their last album was released 3 years ago) and It was great to hear more music from them again.

Viomeme
Fox Pal
Name: Violet
Pronouns:

She/They

Flags:

:flag_trans:

Post by Viomeme »

I used to only listen to vgm, which I still do, but thankfully I broadened my tastes as the years went by.

Some of my favorite(non vgm) albums are:
Mint Jams, Flying Beagle, Infest the Rats Nest, Petrodragonic Apocalypse, Fear of the Dark,
Somewhere in Time, High Visceral Part 1 and 2, Omnium Gatherum, Lateralus, Realign, Visions and Afterthoughts

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

kkzero
Fox Pal
Title: Curious little bunny
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

:flag_aromantic: :flag_asexual:

Post by kkzero »

Oh man, this has always been a tough question for me to answer, mainly because my tastes in music have been largely based more off of the medium they're part of (officially or not) rather than the genre. Regardless, here's all the non-PokƩmon game soundtrack stuff I had on my iTouch in 2015:

• A Thousand Words - LEMMiNO

• Don't Download This Song - Weird Al

• I Can Walk On Water - Basshunter

• PokĆ©RAP

• Scatman (Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop) [Extended Radio Version] - Scatman John

• The Tunnel (M2) - Metroid Metal

• United State of Pop 2009 (Blame It on the Pop) - DJ Earworm

• You Are a Pirate from LazyTown

SatyricalSol
Fox Pal
Name: Solara
Pronouns:

she/they

Post by SatyricalSol »

Roxy wrote: ā†‘Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:11 am

finally, someone who says "I listen to all kinds of music" who actually listens to all kinds of music

music is so good, it's really easy for me to jive with just about anything that has heart in it!

the rare exceptions are like, some of the too-polished and commercially engineered pop/country of the last ~2 decades, trap, whatever Drake is supposed to be. A friend has also been pushing me to give Olivia Rodrigo more chances and she ain't sticking

Taeltales wrote: ā†‘Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:45 pm

šŸˆ Chiva: I must say you definitely have quite the large musical palette Sol. Actually remember flogging Molly from Tael listening to Man with No country a long while ago, we should try out the band's other works while we're at it.

Yeah, Flogging Molly rules! I saw them and Dropkick Murphys together a few years ago and it was a great show, even though it was in a big open air "amphitheatre" which isn't ideal punk concert conditions lmao

the tragedy of getting too popular to fit into the dive venues