Project Arnica

Post about your games or other projects here!
MetalPetal
Fox Pal
Title: Making a game

Project Arnica

Post by MetalPetal »

I got to talk about this, it's been too long since I've been on a forum that was even somewhat active.

Project Arnica

Project Arnica is a game I have been slowly putting together in Godot for a bit now. If I ever manage to finish anything (which is unlikely) I hope for it to be a sort of 2D Platformer/RPG hybrid game, with the emphasis on the platformer.

As it stands now, I have completed the player's movement system, and am moving on towards things I have either never tried before, or have failed to succeed at in the past. These impossible hurdles include Inventory systems, a Room Transition system, and a Dialogue system. I am certain I will fail once more, but I am nothing if not stubborn, so I will press on regardless.

I would really like to not fail however, mostly because I want to be insufferable and talk about the unnecessary effort I have put into the backstory and lore.

Attachments
11102023_arnicascreen4.png
11102023_arnicascreen3.png
11102023_arnicascreen2.png
11102023_arnicascreen1.png

Working on a game, Project Arnica

ImageImageImage

kkzero
Fox Pal
Title: Curious little bunny
Pronouns:

he/they

Flags:

:flag_aromantic: :flag_asexual:

Re: Project Arnica

Post by kkzero »

Hey, no need to put yourself down. These screenshots look to me like you've put a lot of heart into your project thus far, with that player character looking quite dynamic and expressive even with the placeholder assets.

MetalPetal
Fox Pal

Post by MetalPetal »

kkzero wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:18 pm

Hey, no need to put yourself down. These screenshots look to me like you've put a lot of heart into your project thus far, with that player character looking quite dynamic and expressive even with the placeholder assets.

Thanks for the kind words.

If I can actually get the idea for the character I've got in mind drawn, I am going to add so many unnecessary sprites.

ImageImageImage

MetalPetal
Fox Pal

Post by MetalPetal »

Been putting in some more work into this project. Also found a cool program that lets me make gifs real easy called LICEcap so now I can show off the happenings in crisp 30 frames.

Attachments
11123023_devgif7.gif
11123023_devgif6.gif

ImageImageImage

MetalPetal
Fox Pal

Post by MetalPetal »

More progress for the progress post. I wanted to post a gif of the swimming work I did, but all of them were too big :(

Oh well, I'm still too happy with how the particles came out for the seed collection to let that get me down.

Also thanks to Godot supporting GPU particles, I was able to do a really stupid stress test where each seed spawned 262144 particles upon pick up.

Attachments
11162023_devgif13.gif
11172023_devshot14.png
11162023_devgif14.gif

ImageImageImage

MetalPetal
Fox Pal

Post by MetalPetal »

Been hard at work dealing with things I've never managed before, like inventory systems and such. It's excruciatingly painful and I am terrible at it, but the work gets done regardless. My stubbornness shakes the mountain, one piece at a time.

Attachments
11292023_devgif26.gif
11272023_devgif24.gif
11272023_devgif25.gif
11272023_devgif23.gif

ImageImageImage

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Post by Jess »

MetalPetal wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:48 pm

My stubbornness shakes the mountain, one piece at a time.

my stubbornness to figure out stuff despite it being tricky and me having no idea what I was doing got me shield cat, so I say keep at it

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage

MetalPetal
Fox Pal

Post by MetalPetal »

I've finally done up enough placeholder assets to cap off the very rough version of the town of Liverwater. I was originally planning on making this place look a lot more pleasant, but I suppose it being pretty dingy actually fits the setting.

Anyways, Liverwater is the central hub town of Project Arnica. The player will be returning to this location pretty frequently in order to resupply their inventory, switch around brooches, occasional story or sidequest progression, and so on and so forth. I'll give a quick run down of the buildings, from left to right.

The Waterworks, the Kitchen, the Brooch shop, the Item shop, and the Taxi. The Waterworks is how the player initially enters Liverwater at the end of the game's current prologue, and the character inside of there can be spoken to, both for some worldbuilding stuff and also to occasionally direct the player towards a sidequest they may have otherwise missed. The Kitchen is where the player can go to cook recipes with the chef, by combining two items from their inventory. The Brooch shop sells brooches, and the Item shop sells items. Finally, the Taxi takes the player to the majority of the main story locations. This town still has a lot of work to go obviously, and I doubt it'll look anything like this if the game ever reaches a finalized state, but for the first rough draft I think it works fine enough.

Attachments
12012023_devshot18.png

ImageImageImage

MetalPetal
Fox Pal

Post by MetalPetal »

Inventory system. I've never even managed to do something like this in a game before, and yet here it is, working just how I intended it.

I don't even know what to say.

Attachments
12032023_devgif31.gif
12032023_devgif32.gif

ImageImageImage

Jess
Site Owner
Name: Jess
Title: Game Developer
Pronouns:

She/Her

Flags:

:flag_trans: :flag_demisexual: :flag_pansexual:

Post by Jess »

Nice!! Yea I know how tricky menus can be, especially ones like this. Good job!

We are Roxy, Mika, Ashe, and Willow. We own the place. Website Discord
ImageImageImageImageImage